nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Early Apples

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <efackler@woh.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Early Apples
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:17:27 -0400

Andrew:

I used to grow apples in southern Indiana (near heaven) where the
following did just fine (listed in order of maturity).

1. Wm's Pride (complex sweet/tart) firm and of decent size. Picked July
10.
2. Pristine (mostly sweet, spreading tree) Excellent for eating and sauce.
July 10.
3. Monark Tart/sweet, super firm (for a summer apple) large. Preharvest
drop. July 12.
4. Redfree Sweet, excellent for drying and good for fresh eating. Aug. 10.
5. Gala Sweet, spicey. Heavy yeilding and requires severe thinning for
size. Aug. 20.
6. Sansa Sweet although more complex than Gala. Aug. 20
7. Sweet 16 Very complex (although sweet) flavor. Large size. Delinquent
in bearing. Aug. 28.
8. Pixie Crunch Very sweet and crisp. Productive and fruit hangs to the
tree. Sept. 1.
9. Honeycrisp Super crisp, somewhat bland. Difficult to grow due to
various leaf disorders. Sept.1.
10. Jonamac Super productive, good size, mild Mac flavor. Sept. 7.
11. Senshu Super crisp, complex sweet, med sized. Splitting a problem in
many seasons. Sept 10.

I'm sure there are others which I can't think of, but this should
stimulate others to respond.

Ed, Central Ohio, cooling to fall