nafex - [NAFEX] RE: two apple varieties

  • From: "Scott Williamson" <swilliamson@acespower.com>
  • To: "Kieran and Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • Cc: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] RE: two apple varieties
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:00:22 -0500

Thanks Donna, I'm in Central Indiana Zone 5b.  I actually have found an orchard near me that I'm trying different varieties from so I can find out what I like and based on that I'm then going to find out how easy the ones I like are to grow.  Meaning which ones are the most disease resistant, etc.  That's how I found these two varieties.  Unfortunately I got looking that the cooperative extension documents on apple varieties suited for Indiana and these two seem about least suited and nearly as disease prone as possible.  Not that it's impossible to grow them or that I won't, but I really would rather start with varieties that are easier so I can learn a little more before I have a bunch of dead trees.

One of my neighbors (an elderly couple) have two older apple trees that I never see them do anything to, but have lots of large apples on them every year.  I was thinking about grafting from those if I like the taste.  If I were to do that how would I go about collecting the scion wood and when is the best time to collect it?  I guess if I'm just going to stick the rootstock in the ground and graft whenever as you suggest (which sounds like a good idea) I can get that pretty much whenever.