nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nitrogen fixing trees intercropped with fruit and nut trees

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nitrogen fixing trees intercropped with fruit and nut trees
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:14:21 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] nitrogen fixing trees intercropped with fruit and nut trees
Spreading of comfrey depends on where you are.  Here in the NW, the only way it spreads is by gophers carrying pieces of root around.  I knew a lady who used comfrey as a mulch without interplanting it.  She planted a pasture to it and mowed it to use for mulch.  She had some of the best fruit trees I've ever seen.  By keeping it mowed, it never bloomed, so bees weren't attracted.  And she turned goats into the pasture as well to keep it eaten down.
   But yes, once planted you can't easily kill it with anything less than herbicide or a LOT of cultivating.
-Lon Rombough

You will be very sorry if you introduce comfrey into your life. It spreads rapidly and rampantly and, although a great soil breaker and mulcher, will never ever leave or stop its advance. attracts lots of bumblebees etc, but the maintainence hassle if you ever want to plant something else is hell.