nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Now I know why I haven't taken up grafting....

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Now I know why I haven't taken up grafting....
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:34:13 -0400

Hi Rodney,

I wrote you privately, but I wanted to say this publicly.

Grafting is easy. Grafting is simple. Man has done it for thousands of
years with the simplest of
tools. Yes, it can sound daunting and complicated, but it isn't.

Start simple and work your way up. Start with inexpensive (free) rootsock
and scion. Use a sharp
pocket knife. Collect long fat rubber bands. Get a couple of trees under
you belt and you will
wonder why you hesitated.

If I wrote a few thousand words telling you how to do the "dog paddle", I am
sure you would be
confused in minutes, and swear off swimming for life. But if I got you in a
pond for 5 minutes you
would be beating me in a race across the pond.

Dive into grafting. Use what you have around or in the junk drawer. Hey,
what you have in your
junk drawer would be "magic" to those ancient gardeners, and they could graft.

You can do it. Honest.

Later,
Tom