nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re: hornets and wasps

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: longdistshtr <longdistshtr@shtc.net>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re: hornets and wasps
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:35:52 -0400

On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 06:07 PM, longdistshtr wrote:
. . .From a scientific angle, the great designer applied a covering over the body
to protect it from most of these substances mentioned in this discussion.
Venom must be injected through it to work instantaneously, thus the
stingers.
Most any innocuous chemical by its nature will not penetrate the protective
layer
to reach this venom and to be effective must neutralize it or at the very
least block the pain transmitters or anesthetize the nerve endings.
. . .

Yes, but immediately after being stung, there is a small hole in the skin, and perhaps some of these substances can sink in. The description of vinegar stinging at first is consistent with this idea, as vinegar doesn't hurt at all on intact skin.

Bee venom is a complicated protein. Most of the remedies suggested have the potential to denature a complicated protein. Meat tenderizer splits bonds in proteins. Vinegar and baking soda change the local pH, to which most proteins are very sensitive. I don't know about glue or tobacco, although tobacco might act directly on the nerves, rather than the protein.

I've always just used an ice-cube, which doesn't work very well. I think next time I will give vinegar a shot. It sounds easy to administer and clean up from, it's unlikely to harm me, and who knows, maybe it will work.

Ginda