nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bunnies (furry)/vole protection too

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bunnies (furry)/vole protection too
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:36:04 +0000

One winter (late Oct or early Nov chore) I think I did 30 rootstocks and newer grafts, and maybe 20 trees up to 4" diameter. I've switched to 1/2" hardware cloth for the larger now. It was an experiment the first year; I wanted to try something I didn't need to remove & re-install every year. Two or 3 winters, and no voles or mice have climbed in.

Another helpful technique, especially if you are seeing vole activity early, is to check the bases of trees about once a week while the soil is trying to freeze. Make sure mole tunnels at the root flairs are filled, and that no voles have moved in. I don't believe voles can do much excavation of frozen soil.

As per the foil wrap killing trees, it should probably be removed for the growing season, especially for rootstocks which form adventitious roots easily-- Bud 118, for example.

tc, s.WI, currently worried more about buck-rubs than vole damage