nafex - [NAFEX] importing nuts to the US

  • From: markl <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] importing nuts to the US
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:38:37 -0400 (EST)

A year ago I was looking for some one who could supply me with a sample of
beech nuts for eating. I posted a message with this NAFEX group asking if
anyone knew where I could purchase some of these nuts. This week I received
e-mail from a forest product exporter in Romania. He currently ships wild
berries and mushrooms to Germany and France. He wants to send me a sample of
beech nuts at his expense, probably to open up a new market for his produce.
If he ships out these nuts without any special permits for importing into the
US, won't the USDA reject the package and have it destroyed? If anyone knows
the procedure for a shipment like this, I would be interested in hearing from
you. He also has beechnut oil, and I think this has a better chance of
making it past the border.
Thanks,
Mark Lee, Seattle

  • [NAFEX] importing nuts to the US, markl, 08/13/2003