nafex - [NAFEX] Sweet cherry fruit size

  • From: Kevin Bradley <kbradley@ttlc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sweet cherry fruit size
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 07:24:52 -0500

A while back I posted a question about cherry fruit size to the group, asking why the cherries were so big in the stores, suspecting gibberillic acid as the reason. However, I have found that there are at least three reasons that fruit in the stores are much larger than my locally grown ones:

Fruits don't grow as large in the Midwest as on the West coast.
Gisela rootstock can cause overbearing, reducing fruit size if not managed correctly.
The more cold hardy varieties like Krsten are typically smaller fruited.

  • [NAFEX] Sweet cherry fruit size, Kevin Bradley, 08/12/2003