nafex - [NAFEX] Controlling Brown Rot on Budded/Grafted Young Trees

  • From: Bob Hartman <hartmansfruittrees@wport.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Controlling Brown Rot on Budded/Grafted Young Trees
  • Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 19:09:53 -0700

Does anyone have any advice on what to use to protect young budded and
grafted trees in the spring from brown rot? I am talking about stone
fruits, namely cherry and plum. My experience in the last few years is
that I bud in the young trees with the desired bud and they look like
they take and the bud looks fine clear through until spring when they
are blasted with brown rot. I have used some fungicides and it seems to
help some but I am not happy with the results. I had some in the spring
of 2002 that even started to grow an inch or two and then were blasted.
Sometimes not just the bud but the whole tree dies. Is there anyone out
there that has had that kind of problem and has a resolution to it? I
don't recall this subject being posted. If it has just let me know when
and where I can look it up.

Thanks,
Bob Hartman
Western Washington (Rainy western Washington in the spring)

  • [NAFEX] Controlling Brown Rot on Budded/Grafted Young Trees, Bob Hartman, 08/04/2003