nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Chojuro Nashi: Ripening Time

  • From: longdistshtr <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Chojuro Nashi: Ripening Time
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:21:41 -0400

Thanks Ed. Seems like the resident Brown Thrasher has already tested them
for me. I bagged a few of the larger ones. Some have already started to
turn the copper color you mentioned. Last year a raccoon got all the seckel
pears. The Chojuro branches won't take his/her weight and I may get broken
limbs if I leave them on past ripening time.
One way to get any flavor of alcohol, rum included, is to brandy them in
the desired booze, like brandied peaches. Brandied pears resulted in a fun
birthday party for a neighbor's curtain climber 2 years ago. This was an
experiment I tried with Moonglow pears and moon shine. It was good on ice
cream. Cloves and sugar and the hootch of your choice and let it set for 6
months. Won't need any eggnog at Christmas. Just brandied pears and ice
cream for your Christmas Cheer. I haven't tried Nashi yet. Maybe with Saki,
eh?
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8

  • [NAFEX] Re: Chojuro Nashi: Ripening Time, longdistshtr, 07/25/2003