nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What happened to the search engines?

  • From: Suzi Teghtmeyer <srt175f@smsu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, Reveland@collinscom.net
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What happened to the search engines?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:28:27 -0500

Hi Rodney,
Might I recommend the following sites to begin searching before you try the full WWW?

To search for Agriculture Experiment/Extension Station publications, try:
E-Answers - http://128.227.242.197/
and
PlantFacts (Click on "web" and you can separately search for factsheets and for teaching/research publications. You can also look for images and videos at this site) - http://plantfacts.ohio-state.edu/

For the following fruits, try these AgNIC sites:
American Cranberry - http://www.library.wisc.edu/guides/agnic/cranberry/cranhome.html
Blueberries-Cultivated - http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/iac/agnic/blueberry.html
Blueberries-Wild - http://www.nsac.ns.ca/wildblue/
Cherries - http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/iac/agnic/cherry.html
Grapes/Viticulture (I maintain this one) - http://library.smsu.edu/paulevans/viticulture1.shtml
Tree Fruits - http://www.wsulibs.wsu.edu/AgNIC/

Other subjects of info-rich AgNIC sites include: Bees and Pollination, Maple Syrup, Agricultural Law, Subtropical Horticulture, Plant Genetics, and many others, and are listed at http://www.central.agnic.org/agnic/partners/index.html

Also try 'Fruit Science: Pomology Links' at http://library.smsu.edu/paulevans/frtlinks.shtml
I maintain this one, too. (If you have links you think I should add, just email me and I can update the page. Since we don't grow cherries here at the Fruit Experiment Station, I don't have it as a catagory (yet).)

When I search the full WWW, I use Googles Advanced Search, using the 'exact phrase' for names and pharases, like "cherry trees", and use the 'all of the words' line for additional words like cultivars, varieties, Prunus, and so forth.
http://www.google.com/advanced_search

I hope this helps,
----Suzi Teghtmeyer

Librarian, Paul Evans Library of Fruit Science
Southwest Missouri State University Mtn. Grove Campus and Missouri Fruit Experiment Station
9740 Red Spring Rd, Mountain Grove, MO 65711
Phone: 417-926-4105, Fax: 417-926-6646, email: srt175f@smsu.edu
AgNIC Viticulture site: http://library.smsu.edu/paulevans/viticulture1.shtml
Member: CBHL, USAIN, ALA, ACRL, IAALD