nafex - [NAFEX] Cherry pie tasting

  • From: Kevin Bradley <kbradley@ttlc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cherry pie tasting
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 06:35:05 -0500

I baked three cherry pies from North Star, Meteor, and store- bought cherries.
I got some not too reluctant friends together for a blind tasting (pies labeled one, two, three not North Star, Meteor, or Store- bought) and here are the results:

Unanimous: Store- bought was rated the lowest although still a good pie (These were bought frozen and nothing added, just like the home grown cherries in the other pies)
Almost unanimous: Meteor rated number one. It had a juicier texture than the others
Norht Star: rated number two, it was rated as more sour than the others but interestingly the sour flavor seemed to be inside the berries rather than in the gelled stuff as seemed the case with Meteor.
This taste test was no revelation to me but at least I know that both homegrown pies were better than storebought and that Meteor makes a decent pie with true cherry flavor.
Next year I may have enough Hjfhertoi Furtos, Evans, and Joy/Jan for another taste test.
North Star had a meatier redder flesh than the juicier Meteor. Evans altho claimed to be a Morello type is very juicy like Meteor.

  • [NAFEX] Cherry pie tasting, Kevin Bradley, 07/21/2003