nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Steam juicer

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Steam juicer
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 07:42:07 -0700

Ed,
Thanks for introducing me to steam juicers.  I had never heard of them before.  It appears to be an efficient process for extracting the juice.  I am curious about one thing.  The steam extracts the juice by slowly breaking down the cell walls causing the fruit to collapse under its own weight.  Gravity then pulls the juice down to the bottom of the juicer where it collects in a pan.  Since the fruit isn't manually crushed and is essentially filtered by the remaining pulp, what of value does this process not extract?  For example, do most of the sugars get extracted from the pulp?
-Mark