nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Size of sweet cherries

  • From: "road's end farm" <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Size of sweet cherries
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:53:05 -0400

On Wednesday, July 9, 2003, at 05:57 PM, Kevin Bradley wrote:

Why are the Bing cherries so huge in the grocery store? They are three times as large as what I remember sweet cherries to be and what I grow at home. I thought that perhaps the growers were using gibberilic acid like they do on seedless grapes but the organic sweet cherries were just as huge.

Are you sure they are Bing? Maybe it's a different variety. With strawberries I know what's usually seen in the stores is varieties bred to be huge; also to be hard and toughskinned so they ship well. Such strawberries are generally tasteless. If it's a variety characteristic it would probably be the same whether organically or conventionally grown; some varieties do better under organic or under conventional production, but a big shipping fruit variety will be a big shipping fruit grown either way. The "organic" label is now used by some very large companies shipping world wide, no longer only by small farms selling locally (though there are some of us left).