nafex - [NAFEX] mulberry bush

  • From: fuwa fuwa usagi <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] mulberry bush
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:03:45 -0700 (PDT)

It was written:

It must be nice to have a big lot to play with. I only
have about a 1/4 achre city lot. This is the reason I
am intersted in keeping my trees short. One of these
days I will move to the country. I just I need to
just try out a bunch of mullberries too see what I
like. then I could ideally graft them on to a dwarf
rootstock and grow it as a bush (assuming that the
dwarfing influance will affect the new graft.

My reply:

Mulberries are rather vigorous. As a result they are fairly easy to train as
a bush. Try scooping out a shallow and rooting a few branches in the
depression. After the first years growth, the next spring, cut them off and
as the sprout fill in the depression. This should give you an nice little
bush. remove 1/3 of the base canes every year. This is easily done by
painting each cane a different color each year with one of 3 colors.

regards,

the fluffy one

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====

  • [NAFEX] mulberry bush, fuwa fuwa usagi, 07/11/2003