nafex - [NAFEX] Apricot tree

  • From: "Kieran and Donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apricot tree
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:37:22 -0500

Art, I have the same suspicions as Chris about your tree. NAFEXers have
written in Pomona that their apricot trees seemed more susceptible to frost
and near frosts than plums or peaches. But I suspect you need a pollinator.
One NAFEXer wrote that insects did not seem to be willing or able to fly as
far to cross pollinate early in the season when their apricots were in
bloom. He suggested interplanting two trees so closely that their branches
intertwined or grafting another variety onto each tree. It sounds like the
few fruits that your tree decides to hang onto may be those pollinated by a
neighbor's tree. If you can prune a blossoming branch off another tree next
spring and lay it in your tree for the bees to work, you may find out
quickly whether you need to do something about providing a pollen source.
Of course, it would be good if you knew that the branch you brought over was
a different variety, so if you don't know what you have or what your
neighbors have, your best bet would be a tree you were pretty sure was a
seedling, like one growing in a neglected place that looks like it was never
pruned, or one with very poor fruit. Donna