nafex - [NAFEX] Apricot tree

  • From: Mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apricot tree
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:14:54 -0400

Art,
I don't live in a low-chill area (an area with fluctuating spring
temperatures - yes, low-chill-no), but I don't think your problem is lack of
chill hours (someone who lives in a low-chill area should respond to correct
me if I'm wrong). If your problem was lack of chill, I would expect your
bloom to not occur or to occur off-cycle, and you probably wouldn't get fruit
at all.

Two possibilities come to my mind:
1) Your tree is not completely self-fertile (or not self-fertile in your
climate). This could be solved by planting another apricot tree of a
different variety, or grafting a branch on of another variety.

2) Does Santa Barbara get spring frosts? If so, you could be losing the
majority of your blossoms to cold. Since you're in an area that I believe to
be low humidity (clear night skies), you could be radiating a lot of heat
into space and the blossoms are getting killed that way. There are a number
of "games" you can play to try to protect and/or delay bloom, but none is
perfect or foolproof.

Here's a link that shows what temps apricots (and other fruits) can take at
what stage in bloom:
http://www.msue.msu.edu/vanburen/crittemp.htm

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6