nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Re:yellow clover

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Re:yellow clover
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 18:26:53 -0400

I have lots of wood sorrel, which I consider a weed in the flower beds, but welcome in the lawn. It tastes wonderful on a hot day, and doesn't look anything like clover except for a superficial resemblance of the leaf shape. (When I was a kid I wondered why tree guides asked about stuff like how hairy the underside of the leaf is, and the texture of the stem, but I now realize that those are the details that make up the "feel" of a plant, and I use them all the time - I just don't stop and think about them.) In particular, the flower of wood sorrel is totally different from clover, being large (for the size of the plant) and single, rather than a cluster of tiny flowers gathered into a head. The leaves are a little larger and less leathery than clover, and each leaflet is heart-shaped, rather than oval.

By the way, clover flowers are very tasty if you can get to them before the bees - otherwise they are bland and taste a bit like straw. The fresh flowers have so much nectar that they taste sweet (and honeylike) to people. The leaves aren't worth eating unless you are an herbivore.

I've never tried buttercup, but it doesn't smell very tasty.

Ginda