nafex - [NAFEX] Plums for western NC

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Plums for western NC
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:48:00 -0400

Gene,
I have 4 plums. French Petite blooms the latest, and is the only one to
fruit more than once. French Petite is on Pixie Rootstock, and began
blooming 2-3 years after planting. Have had fruit 3 of last 6-7 years.
Heavy fruitset last 2 years, due to no freezes in April.
French Petite recommended by (and bought from) Ed Fackler. Lon Rombough,
another NAFEXer, has been promoting this one for years.
Richard Moyer
East Tenn, Zone 6

Gene wrote:
I'm getting pretty frustrated in my plum-growing efforts here in
western NC (zone 6). My Red Heart has flowered the past 3 years, but nary a
plum. Late frosts are the big problem (like most of us on the east coast, I
suspect). My Riene Claude D'Oullins is about 8 years old and hasn't yet
flowered. Are the Europeans slow to mature? Are European plums generally
later blooming than Japanese or hybrids? Any recommended varieties for east
coast climate that typically experiences late freezes?

thanks in advance,

gene
spears@lmc.edu

  • [NAFEX] Plums for western NC, Moyer, Richard, 06/16/2003