nafex - Re: [NAFEX] seabuckthorn seeds?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] seabuckthorn seeds?
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 07:04:46 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] seabuckthorn seeds?
   I have a set of papers from an international symposium on Sea Buckthorn and according to the papes, much ofthe species is native to climates with cold winters and dry soils.  However, there are some that come from wetter areas and can tolerate, warmer climates and wetter soils than the rest of the species.  The trick is being able to get some of that material - you'd pretty much have to set up an expedition to collect it yourself.
-Lon Rombough

<nafex@lists.ibiblio.org> =====
>I can tell you that it is not invasive in Georgia.
>All of my plants died.
>I'm not sure why. Most people here think it was either
>the clay soil We have here or
>the it was watered to much (which again may be an
>issue with the clay).
My experience here in southern west-central KY was similar.  A Canadian friend
sent some plants, but none lasted an entire growing season.

Lucky