nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Scion wood length

  • From: Console G4 <tfnews@gate.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Scion wood length
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:25:52 -0400

Hi Gordon,

The 'best' scion wood length will vary from species to species and with type of plant as well. My experiences are with tropical and subtropical plants. Here in Florida mango, avocado, white sapote, citrus, and everything else I have ever seen are done with scion wood about 6-8 inches long. Many grafters would get three plants done from your 15" piece of scion wood if it were a rare variety.

What a difference between temperate and tropicals. One of the reasons I love horticulture and botany.

You had 70F? We had 96 yesterday with rain. (I have too much empathy with lobsters to eat them :) ). Like everyplace else, its either too hot, wet, dry or cold here for my plants. Today at 1:30 pm its a balmy 88.9.

Best of growing,

Bob - SW Florida
Rare fruit site:
www.gate.net/~tfnews