nafex - [NAFEX] Scion wood length.

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Scion wood length.
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:08:10 -0400

Back in early spring there was questions of proper length to use for scion wood for grafting. I was out doing some grafting on April 14th. I had 2 scions I had cut that day that were long. These were all apple grafts to the same tree. One I grafted at 23 inches long about a 1/4 inch at the graft, the other was 15 inches long. These were splice grafts wrapped in rubber strips and only the graft covered in parafilm. I had also done couple other grafts same tree that were down to 1 bud long. All the grafts took and are growing. All the buds to the end are in leaf. Only puzzling thing was a Shiawassee apple graft done the same day I t didn't look like it was going to take. 6 weeks later all the buds are in leaf. It was a 6 inch long near 3/8ths dia. I also did another for someone else month later, and it took twice as long as other apple grafts that day.
We have had a very unusual spring up till now. Lately 50s at night and we may hit 70 today.
Gordon C. Nofs
Flint, MI.
Zone 5

  • [NAFEX] Scion wood length., Gordon Nofs, 06/13/2003