nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peaches!...now what?

  • From: "Griffin Gardens" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peaches!...now what?
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 9:12:14 -0500

Charles and Sam,
   Thanks for your contributions that begin to fill the great peach growing information void here in central MN. Yes, I confess to trying to grow peaches in  Minnesota, and I don't mean the relatively tropical region of southeastern MN either, but north of the twin cities near St Cloud. The good part of that is that there isn't much trouble with things that have "Oriental" as part of their name, and I don't think OFM is a problem here, and it doesn't sound like I'll regret that. But the bad thing is there isn't anybody that I know of raising peaches locally, so there aren't any first hand practical resources available, and nothing at all that is specific to my location.
  Can anybody recommend resources and guidelines for peach culture that I could use here? In terms of summer climate, I would guess the nearest thing to mine where peaches are grown would be in Southern IA and Illinois, with less rainfall and humidity here and cooler temps.
  In the meantime, I'll watch and see what happens, which will most likely be that my little peachlets will drop to the ground since the trees are only 1 and 2 years old.

Dave