nafex - [NAFEX] Surround and Oriental Fruit Moth/Codling moth

  • From: John.Mosko@engelhard.com
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Surround and Oriental Fruit Moth/Codling moth
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:48:51 -0400

Surround only suppresses OFM damage around 50% according to tough extension
studies. This type of study is tough because they use single or triple
stand-alone Surround-treated trees with adjacent untreated trees. Similar
damage suppression is seen for OFM's cousin the codling moth. However,
according to a Cornell study, good spray coverage and large block use may
bump the suppression up a bit. I'll just say that these moths are not
Surround's "claim to fame" like apple maggot, plum curculio, and pear
psylla, are. John

"Moyer, Richard"

<ramoyer@king.edu> To:
"'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'"
Sent by: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>

nafex-bounces@lists. cc:

ibiblio.org Subject: [NAFEX] Surround
for Japanese Beetle and
?Oriental Fruit Moth

06/11/2003 09:19 PM

Please respond to

North American Fruit

Explorers

Re: Question about options for Japanese Beetle control. Surround (refined
kaolin clay, OMRI listed) is labeled for suppression of these.
Japanese beetles on our grapes are primarily controlled by knocking in a
bucket of soapy water early in morning. They're rather slow then. The
kids
enjoy this job.
Grape defoliation concerns: Perhaps Lon can weigh in on this, but TN
Extension publications recommend removal of some grape leaves for increased
sunlight on grape clusters. The Japanese Beetles help with this job.

As for Oriental Fruit Moth control on peaches, Surround may be worth trying
there as well. Studies I've read on Surround and OFM are mixed, but
Surround could be combined with other OFM deterents.

Richard Moyer
Zone 6
Mulberry ice cream tonight.
File attachments are accepted by this list; please do not send binary
files, plain text ONLY!
Message archives are here:
To view your user options go to:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/nafex/XXXX@XXXX (where XXXX@XXXX
is
YOUR email address)
NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/

  • [NAFEX] Surround and Oriental Fruit Moth/Codling moth, John . Mosko, 06/12/2003