nafex - [NAFEX] Surround for Japanese Beetle and ?Oriental Fruit Moth

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Surround for Japanese Beetle and ?Oriental Fruit Moth
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:19:03 -0400

Re: Question about options for Japanese Beetle control. Surround (refined
kaolin clay, OMRI listed) is labeled for suppression of these.
Japanese beetles on our grapes are primarily controlled by knocking in a
bucket of soapy water early in morning. They're rather slow then. The kids
enjoy this job.
Grape defoliation concerns: Perhaps Lon can weigh in on this, but TN
Extension publications recommend removal of some grape leaves for increased
sunlight on grape clusters. The Japanese Beetles help with this job.

As for Oriental Fruit Moth control on peaches, Surround may be worth trying
there as well. Studies I've read on Surround and OFM are mixed, but
Surround could be combined with other OFM deterents.

Richard Moyer
Zone 6
Mulberry ice cream tonight.