nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Citrus in zone 6

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Citrus in zone 6
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 21:18:36 -0500

<nafex@lists.ibiblio.org> =====
>Re: [NAFEX] Making our own pectinI was wondering if any citrus would live
>and
flower in zone 6/7 (NE Oklahoma). Fruit doesn't matter so much, since I am
sure none of the better tasting ones will make it outside in our climate. I
am
looking for nectar plants.

Trifoliate orange, Poncirus trifoliata, should be fully winter-hardy for you
there. It handles my southern KY winters just fine, and fruits prolifically
-
though I wouldn't call 'em an edible fruit.
I used to supply seeds to a nursery in Cincinnati, and if it'll grow there, I
have no doubt it'd handle OK.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

  • RE: [NAFEX] Citrus in zone 6, Lucky.Pittman, 05/31/2003