nafex - [NAFEX] Fw: Culling

  • From: "Dylan Ford" <dford@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fw: Culling
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 19:09:58 -0400

Dear TFB,

"8) You will suddenly realize why many liberal concepts are stupid: i.e. culling is nature’s way of strengthening a species."

    I read this statement to say "culling as nature's way of strengthening a species" was a stupid liberal concept, since i.e. generally means, for example, or,  that is. In your later post you seem to support culling and to again bad-mouth liberals, though I have never heard of an orchardist culling by allowing a noble, distinguished and honorable tree (even if defective to the point of celebration)  to decide not to reproduce. I guess I have a different understanding of the meaning of culling.
    The problem with projecting selection (as an orchardist might practice it) upon the human population is that there is so much room for personal prejudice to interfere. That is, it might blind the individual eugenicist to his own genetic unworthiness to be represented in the master race, while finding fault with others on the basis of bigotry, politics,  and such.
     Or did I miss something?

                                        dylan

  • [NAFEX] Fw: Culling, Dylan Ford, 05/29/2003