nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Culling...back to fruit

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Culling...back to fruit
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 13:23:47 -0500

At 02:04 PM 5/29/2003 -0400, you wrote:
I used to belong to SHEEP-L. One of the few people who actually made a
living raising sheep extolled the virtues of a miracle drug. It
eliminated a whole host of chronic, profit destroying ailments.
Rigorous use of this drug eliminated foot rot, coughs and bad
mothering. The drug is called trailermycin.

Joe,
I use that same approach in my orchard. Most stuff has to make it on its own, after it goes in the ground, with maybe mulching and mowing once a year - if they're lucky. If they don't, something else will go in that now-vacant space. I've got at least a half-dozen dead young apple trees in the orchard this year - some 3+ years old. No big deal to me - I've now got spots to put more pears, persimmons, and mulberries - something that will probably survive and fruit with little or no care on my part.

I will say, however, that the pecans and hickories get a little more attention, and talking to(thanks, Donna), and probably more attention to their 'needs', albeit not much more.
Guess I'm more of a propagator than a caretaker.

Lucky