nafex - [NAFEX] Culling...back to fruit

  • From: "Joe Hecksel" <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Culling...back to fruit
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:04:19 -0400

> >Culling is essentially a process of selecting...

I used to belong to SHEEP-L. One of the few people who actually made a
living raising sheep extolled the virtues of a miracle drug. It
eliminated a whole host of chronic, profit destroying ailments.
Rigorous use of this drug eliminated foot rot, coughs and bad
mothering. The drug is called trailermycin.

Anybody can grow good fruit if they have good plants, a good site, good
weather, good management and good luck. Lack of any one of those
attributes and growing good fruit is like pushing a rope. It can be
done, but it is not easy.

I am not in a position where I need a crop to pay my morgage. But if I
was, I could not afford the luxury of rigid ideology. I think I would
have abandon (cull) some plants that I have emotional attachment to,
simply because I could not afford to lose the space. I would have to
cull some plants that produce well but have no market for the product.

Love, no matter how pure or deeply felt, is no substitute for good
cultivar/rootstock selection, a good site, good weather, good
management or good luck. Or a good market.

--
Joe Hecksel
Personal Webpage http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel