nafex - [NAFEX] pH for Kaki Persimmons

  • From: VBGarden@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pH for Kaki Persimmons
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 12:42:46 EDT

Does anyone know the soil pH preferred by persimmons - specifically the oriental (kaki) persimmons?  I'm trying to fine tune nutrients on our young little orchard of these.

Virginia's endless drought (18 months w/ virtually no rain) has now been followed by 6 months of almost continual chilly rain.  I'm concerned that root rot may be taking out one of our five year old oriental persimmon trees.  Of three planted within 20 feet of each other, the Yamagaki is perfectly beautiful, the Jiro is doing well after a nasty wind break and the Saijo, which has never looked happy until a delightful spurt of growth and green this spring, suddenly is losing leaves and twigs ends are curling back... a very dramatic wilting is taking place.  A year ago I'd have bet water stress, now I'm thinking the same thing in the opposite direction.   Does anyone have experience with these that indicates different levels of disease resistance or stress response?  Any suggestions for remedies?

damply yours,
Sybil
Paradise Nursery
Virginia Beach