nafex - [NAFEX] FW: sources for Mongolia

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] FW: sources for Mongolia
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 10:26:49 -0700

Title: FW: sources for Mongolia
If you have help or suggestions for Forest Shomer, below, please contact him directly.

----------
From: Forest Shomer <ziraat@olympus.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 09:40:01 -0700
Subject: sources for Mongolia

Hi Lon,

I'm on the board of a charitable group that has an ag project in
Mongolia. One of our current interests is to locate suitable material
and introduce fruits that could endure under the harsh conditions of
the high steppe climate--most similar to Wyoming in some ways. That
state is of course not associated in one's mind with fruit growing.

My best guess is to make contact with Canadian sources. I recall that
Pomona often has supported discussion of the raising of Amelanchier
spp. in Alberta and surrounding areas, along with some other berry
and apple cultivars that have been produced there. Can you help put
me in touch with even one good contact in that region? It need not be
commercial--a home researcher or university contact might serve
equally well.

We know that historically, the Russians who ran Mongolia for 60 years
had introduced Sea Buckthorn cultivars. Some members of Rubus or Rosa
genera are probably likely candidates. The kiwi group seems like a
direction to turn, too.

Thanks for any help you can  provide, best,

Forest

--
Inside Passage Seeds and Native Plant Services
Forest Shomer, owner

  • [NAFEX] FW: sources for Mongolia, Lon J. Rombough, 05/05/2003