nafex - [NAFEX] mulberry question

  • From: "Adrienne Bordo" <beartown@acbm.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] mulberry question
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 13:19:29 -0400

We just cut up the mulberry which had rotted at the base & tipped over. We
bought it years ago as an Illinois Everbearing but the main truck gave up
the ghost after a couple of years, so any growth now is likely from the
rootstock. There are several suckers from the main roots which seem to be
healthy.
Question 1) Would it be possible to dig & move this tree to a more sheltered
place? The root system is large. Move it now before it comes out of dormancy
or cut the roots off in a circle & try to move it next spring?
Question 2) In lieu of moving the tree, are there pruning options to make it
low growing to give it more protection from snow cover.
Question 3) Should we just give up & yank it out by the roots? I don't think
we have eaten more than a dozen mulberries in all those years. It doesn't
produce many & the birds get most of them.

Adrienne

Norman & Adrienne Bordo
Beartown Chesapeakes
www.acbm.qc.ca/beartown

  • [NAFEX] mulberry question, Adrienne Bordo, 05/05/2003