nafex - [NAFEX] Edible Hawthorns

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Edible Hawthorns
  • Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 11:36:40 -0500

For those list members who have no hope whatsoever of getting mayhaws to survive or fruit, our own Richard Fahey, of the Christian Homesteading Movement, in Oxford, NY has described a 'Cherry Hawthorn' that he selected, which is thornless(or mostly so), produces a large(for a hawthorn) berry, has not been bothered by rust, and comes true from seed. Richard offers both scions and fruit - from which you can grow your own seedlings.
He had an article on it in the Fall 2000 issue of POMONA, as well as several earlier articles( in '97 & '98, if I recall correctly) on exploring and harvesting hawthorn fruits & leaves.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY