nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Peach Tree Life Update

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <efackler@woh.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Peach Tree Life Update
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 15:51:22 -0500

Ward:

     Fungal Gummois is another name for "I don't know" or "freeze injury (generally in limb crotches)" or borer damage.  Gummois in stone fruits is most often simply a reaction of the tree to "injury" regardless of form which manifests in the formation of a very thick "gummy" substance which hardens rather quickly.

     And short of pruning out infected limbs, there is nothing which can be done.

     There are diseases liike Pseudomonas which can indeed cause gummois, but generally freeze injury (from extreme swings in winter time temperatures) and borer damage the most common cause.  And you'll note that often the damage (gum ooze) starts at the base of limbs.

ed