nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bumble bee as pollinator

  • From: "Kristina & Bruce" <herenorthere@lycos.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bumble bee as pollinator
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 14:27:44 -0400

Here's a link to something about buzz pollination, done by bumblebees and my
favorite native bees, the andrenids:

http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/ic/buzzpol/buzzpol.html

When I still lived in Maine, I helped out with a study of native bee
populations in the blueberry barrens. Andrenids thrive in those untilled,
well drained sands. Well, they would thrive if they weren't blasted with
Guthion and other sprays as soon as the rental bees are hauled away. Here,
andrenids nest in all the loose soil they can find, including my pots of fig
trees. Any cultivation after they complete their nests will destroy the
young.

In exchange for me disturbing as little soil as possible during the growing
season, not spraying insecticides, and having something in bloom throughout
the season, native bees pollinate everything for me. And they work whether
it's cold and wet or warm and dry when the trees bloom. It's a fair trade.

Bruce Wittchen
Zone 6 CT