nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bumble bee as pollinator

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bumble bee as pollinator
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:47:10 -0400

But why on earth would you stick your finger in a bee's nest? I say the first bumblebee of the season yesterday - just in time for forsythia and cornus mas, and some early dandelions. They were watched me with interest as I planted some pansies, as did some big flies that were colored like bees. I expect they will be on the job as soon as the blueberry blossoms open, which should only take a few more warm days.

I used to catch bees in glass bottles for sport as a kid. I once "rescues" one from a spider's web and carefully removed all the silk from its wings. I work around bumblebees in my garden all the time - they are assiduous pollinators of my raspberries, and often work the blooms as I pick the berries. I suppose you can aggravate them enough to get stung, but they count as "docile" in my book, and I'm happy to have them around.

Now yellowjackets are nasty.

Ginda