nafex - Re: [NAFEX] scion -- best length?

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] scion -- best length?
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 19:25:58 -0400

Hi
I graft from 1 bud length to 4 bud length. depends on what I have and how many times I want to try to start it hoping maybe at least one takes on certain limited piece. I also graft from 1/16 diameter and up. Preferring 3 /16 to 5/16 diameter.

Gordon C. Nofs
Flint, MI.
About scion length, I would like to hear opinions what length is best.

My usual grafting method is dormant spring saddle grafting. I like to work with scions of 5/16" thickness, which is about exactly the size of a regular no. 2 pencil.

True or False? It's necessary to have 4 or more inches in scion length to have energy reserves enough to callus the graft union. [if so, how does summer budding work when the scion [in this case just a single bud with a little wood around it] is capable of uniting with the stock?

True or False? It's hard for a longer scion to 'take'.

True or False? A short scion [say, just two inches long] with just one bud can 'take.' Can anyone point to any successful or unsuccessful experiences with grafting with shorter scions?

Charlie Paradise
zone 5 / Massachusetts