nafex - [NAFEX] Use of Scientific Names (Was Re: Unidentified Fruit)

  • From: Dan Sorensen <dan.phantom@westpa.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Use of Scientific Names (Was Re: Unidentified Fruit)
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 17:16:19 -0500

This is a perfect example of the failure of common names and makes a good case for the use of scientific names. The word "sapote" is believed to have come from an Aztec word, "tzapotl", which refers to any soft, sweet fruit. Avoiding any fruit called sapote would be like saying because may apples (Podophyllum)can be poisonous one should avoid eating anything called "apple". There are plants in at least seven different genera that go by the common name of "sapote" and perhaps dozens of others that have sapote as part of their name. Even I, here in Pennsylvania am growing white sapote (Casimiroa sapota) and the Chico sapote (Manilkara sapota), two totally different, unrelated species. Unless you are also allergic to common chewing gum, you probably won't be allergic to the chico sapote, although undoubtedly some people are because given any substance at random, someone is probably allergic to it. It would be sad if some people with latex allergy would automatically refuse to eat a fruit because it is called sapote by some people somewhere.

I happen to be allergic to mangoes, cashews and gingko nuts under certain conditions. The first two are in the same family as poison ivy. the third is unrelated but has a similar oil in the fleshy covering. I try to learn as much as possible about new fruits so I know what to be cautious of and what to avoid altogether.

On the other hand, it doesn't help when the botanists decide the name is incorrect and change it. ;-)

Dan