nafex - [NAFEX] pollenators & early food sources

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pollenators & early food sources
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 11:43:31 -0600

This may be old info to long-time fruit growers, but I stumbled across something last week, that I'm going to try.

I've got a little 'French Pink" pussy willow planted in a wet spot at the edge of the yard, that was in full bloom a week or so back, and was literally swarming with small bee/wasp type insects - I don't know enough to determine if they were Orchard Mason bees or some other non-honeybee pollenator types.
Plums, apricots, were in bloom, and a few peach blossoms were open, but very few pollenators around them. Think I'll prune the pussy willow and stick some of the cuttings in the ground along the property line near the stonefruit section of the orchard. May be too late for this year, but it might help attract/maintain populations in following seasons.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

  • [NAFEX] pollenators & early food sources, Lucky Pittman, 04/01/2003