nafex - [NAFEX] buck damage to trees

  • From: <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] buck damage to trees
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:37:03 -0600

When a buck is determined to cleaning his
>antlers, my experience (in Kansas) is that little will deter him.

Hmm... what about foam rubber? Is there anything soft like that that would
remove the temptation? I can see how a blackberry thicket would work, the
plants would protect the apple tree without being tempting themselves.
There was someplace, probably POMONA, where I read that blackberries to
apples is a natural seccession. A local NAFEXer, Shannon Stoney, found
herself with 12 acres of former pasture, and it cost her $200 every time she
paid someone to bush hog it. She allowed the entire property, including her
infant apple orchard, to grow up in weeds and blackberries. A few years
later the apples began to emerge from the blackberries, and then started
blooming. Donna

  • [NAFEX] buck damage to trees, redherring, 03/28/2003