nafex - [NAFEX] RE: Kiowa Blackberry size and flavor

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] RE: Kiowa Blackberry size and flavor
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:11:18 -0500

Mark,
We've had Kiowa in for several years. Though listed at 10-12g average, some
of ours are 22-23g and most exceed 12 g. Grown at our place in East Tenn,
Kiowa is equal to Triple Crown in flavor, but not as good as Navaho. For
yield I'd still plant the first two.
Gerard Krewer in GA noted that his U-pick customers love Kiowa, for they can
fill a gallon bucket much faster than with other varieties he had.
As for size, 'Black Butte' has also been advertised as largest on market, as
has 'Chesapeake' (new from Five Aces Breeding and listed as 15-22g).
Remember that 'largest on market' can merely mean 'largest in our catalog
this year'. Even bigger blackberries are in development, so none of these
will reign long. Consider that for fresh eating, a '2-bite' blackberry sure
is messy, so what are your goals? Local fresh market consumers here respond
well to berries the size of Kiowa and even Triple Crown.
Regarding antioxidant levels, several researchers have shown that although
total antioxidants decrease with larger fruited blueberry cultivars, this is
not the case for larger blackberries. Said otherwise, blackberries are
'black' throughout, hence antioxidants remain high in 'jumbo' berries.
Kiowa specifically shines as high in antioxidants, as measured by ORAC (see
abstract at http://www.actahort.org/books/585/585_76.htm)

In summary, we put up with the 'nasty' thorns on Kiowa for size, vigor, and
yield. Properly pruned, picking isn't that bad. Remove the old canes in
winter while wearing many layers!

This from the Pense Nursery Catalog:
Kiowa (Thorny) "Patented"
This blackberry has the largest berry size on the market. 30% larger than
Shawnee, though yields are not as high as Shawnee. It is still very
productive. Berries are firm with excellent flavor. Ripen over a six week
period, starting around June 13th. It maintains large size throughout the
harvesting period. Plant establishes a hedge row quickly, and has good
disease resistance. It is resistant to Orange Rust, and somewhat resistant
to Anthracnose. Plants are erect.

4. Kiowa (mark wessel)
Message: 4