nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Grow fruit higher than deer can reach?

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Grow fruit higher than deer can reach?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:15:05 -0600

I just had to add my 2 cents to this discussion. We have a number of 12 year
old trees, mostly apple, on a variety of rootstocks (from P-22 to seedling)
and find that the deer will eat enough branches and bark to kill a tree that
is 10 years old. They have ripped off fairly large branches (size of my arm)
of a Gala and killed it. And then the neighbor's Scottish Highland cattle get
out, and tear things up good, although theyare more interested when their are
ripe apples on the trees.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI

<<winmail.dat>>