nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Berry Wire

  • From: Keith Benson <kgbenson@mindspring.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Berry Wire
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 17:30:38 -0500

Mauch1@aol.com wrote:
I've adopted a method for trellising berries from a friend that's non-standard, but I like it. It's easy, and eliminates tying up canes.

Buy the green metal garden stakes from your garden supplier and either
6" square galvanized fencing (or reinforcing mesh from concrete would work as well). Put in the garden stakes on either side of your berry
row, and then suspend the fence horizontally between the stakes. the
canes grow up through the fencing and are supported. I believe
this works for everything, but the truly trailing blackberries.

Good luck,

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation

hello all,

I am putting up a trellis for some blackberries and was wondering what kind of wire folks would suggest?

Thanks,

Keith