nafex - Re: [NAFEX] need Gala scions

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] need Gala scions
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:22:52 -0600

At 12:54 AM 3/18/2003 -0500, you wrote:
Lucky:
Do you want Scarlet Gala or Crimson Gala? What is your mailing address?

Chris,
My friend probably doesn't/wouldn't know the difference - she just wants a Gala. Whichever selection you like best would be fine. If you've got a stick of either that you can spare, I might go ahead and graft another one for myself, while I'm at it. I've got a few rootstock suckers that I pulled last winter and transplanted to my little hobby nursery beds.

Thanks

Lucky Pittman
P.O. Box 2000
Hopkinsville, KY 42241-2000

Hey, I think you sent me a bunch of red-fleshed scions last year. Reworked a bunch of branches on a mislabeled Wickson(it's NOT Wickson) crab. Most all were growing great, but then we had a freak late freeze which set the stage for a heavy onslaught of fireblight, which hit almost every one of the grafts. A few survived, but I've not looked lately to see which ones.
I'm sort of backing away from apples, concentrating on persimmons, hickories and pecans, but at some point in time, if I decide to try red-fleshed varieties again, I might contact you about purchasing some scions.