nafex - [NAFEX] re: Black Locust, Kudzu and the National Guard

  • From: "Laura" <loquita@easystreet.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] re: Black Locust, Kudzu and the National Guard
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 00:05:21 -0800

I think we need to be diversifying our AGRICULTURAL ecologies as rapidly and
extensively as possible. Our simplistic pendulum swings of cultural vogues
are not the answer. To use an over-used species as an example, the USDA
origionally promoted and distributed Kudzu (for lots of good reasons, read
Shurtleff and Aoyagi's "Book of Kudzu" and look at how much $ of Kudzu
products are imported to the US every year) and now, when a SINGLE plant is
discovered in Oregon, they practically call out the National Guard. (but
couldn't, they were already off in the oilfields- but I digress) Isn't it
reasonable to assume that since Kudzu, despite government subsidy, has NOT
seized control of Oregon after 80 years of trying (While English Ivy HAS)
that Oregon does not NEED a law against Kudzu mandating herbicide strikes on
the plant and promising a career making bluejeans with free healthcare (but
no vacations) for anyone attempting to import it here?
If you look at the impact on the ecology of N. America, the invasive evil
species (besides us) would seem to be lawn grasses, no?
Back to Black Locust- (the tree that saved Hungary)
Lon says:
>I can't prove it, but I suspect that black locust seedllings have a
hard time
getting established here because by the time it's warm enough for the seed
to germinate, the soil is too dry. So it only volunteers in a few places
where the soil is both moist and warm at the right time. I also suspect
that deer get most seedlings that do make it here. Seedlings seem to succede
only in cities here.
I think it's reasonable to assume from Dave's posting that Black Locust can
cause problems in an oak wood on the edge of the plains, or change a Lake
Michigan dune flora. Does that mean it should not be planted on strip mine
spoil, or used as one component of a planted woodlot elsewhere in the US? Or
used along a rural roadside in the West? They grow invasively in sediment
choked riverbeds in California, does that mean the correct response is to
mobilize hordes to rip them out and poison any remnants, or to
coppice-manage the trees for vineyard posts at the expense of the
toxic-treated post industry, while the trimmed branches produce compost for
gardens and goat forage, to the benefit of Mexican barbecue joints and
boutique creameries?
* Rick

Right On Mr. Valley .
Your wry eloquence is refreshing and appreciated .
Sincerely ,
Loquita of Portland , Oregon

  • [NAFEX] re: Black Locust, Kudzu and the National Guard, Laura, 03/17/2003