nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Varieties on MM.111

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: mphil@together.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Varieties on MM.111
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 08:43:45 -0600

The majority of my original plantings (starting in '95-'96)were on a combo M9/M111 rootstock. I have a good clay soil, but much of the orchard is squishy wet throughout most of the winter and early spring. Many of those original M9/M11 trees do not have good anchorage - leaning really badly - there are a couple that are probably at 45 degrees or more. Don't know if that's a function of the rootstock, or just my wet soil conditions. I'v toyed with the idea of jacking 'em back into place, but probably won't even bother.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

  • Re: [NAFEX] Varieties on MM.111, Lucky Pittman, 03/14/2003