nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Bud 9 vs. M9 apple rootstocks

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <efackler@woh.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Bud 9 vs. M9 apple rootstocks
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 04:32:14 -0500

Good Morning, NAFEX:

Over the years of budding many varieties of apples to many types of
rootstocks
and growing them WITHOUT support on a windy site in So. Indiana, the
relative brittleness
is rated as follows with 10 being the most brittle and 1 being less brittle.

Rootstock type Bittleness Rating

Mark 9-10
P-22 8-9
Gen. 30 8-9
Bud. 491 8-9
M27 7-8
P-2 7-8
M9 (and clones) 6-7
M26 6-7
M7 3-4
MM106 2-3
P-18 2-3
MM111 1-2
Seedling 1-2

Now keep in mind that all rootstocks are more subject to blow-outs
(nursery jargon for
budling trees breaking off at the budunion) during a period of time when new
varietal shoots
are approx. 10-18" in height (early June in So. Indiana) when 3 things
occurred simulteanously.
The first occurance was the acquired height of 10+ inches from union.
The second occurance was the full development of leaves on this shoot (which
created resistance to winds).
The third occurance (or lack there of) was insufficient knitting of joining
tissues.
Or, as the 2 pieces knit (grow together) tissues from each piece
intermingle. And with the more
dwarfing and/or precocious types this "intermingling" is a relative slow
process. With some,
like Mark, P-22, Gen. 30, etc. the elongation of knitted tissue is always
very short in
physical length and therefore the trees are brittle their entire life and
require support of some type.
Once when at some NAFEX meeting (likely Cornell) someone showed me
magnified pictures of cross-sections
of different rootstocks taken at the budunion on various combinations which
were at various ages on different rootstocks.
And the length of these intermingling tissues were always much shorter on
the more dwarfing stocks.
And of course the above is further influenced or enhanced by the
particular variety. Most
triploids (Mutsu, true Winesap, etc.) were notable more brittle that most
duploids. The exception to
this are those varieties which have Golden Delicious in their progeny such
as Gala which is extremely
brittle on all rootstocks except MM111 during this window of tree
development time (8-18").
In the early 90s all nurseries began to support nursery rows containing
these stocks, often
with much expense. Never will forget hearing Mike Smith's (Treco) comments
about their system. Or,
they invested in steel rods, staking each tree, every year. The main
problem was simply transporting
the rods to the nursery due to excessive weight and during periods of very
wet weather the vehicle
carrying the rods would literally get stuck enroute to the field.
One of the most novel (then) way was to use 6' stakes at 50' intervals
in each nursery row and
tie phyto-resistant string taught on each side of the stake, allowing trees
to grow between the strings.
I think I saw this at Pete VanWell's place. Not sure as I can't remember
these useless details like
I once could. One problem with this system was trees could not resist
movement within the strings and
some folks used closepins to join the strings between each tree.

Well, I've gotten way too windy (which causes dwarf trees to break!!).

Ed, survivin' Ohio wherein possesses a high population of republicans who
don't know how to laugh at dumb stuff!!
me, bein' politically correct, should add that democrates laugh at too
much dumb stuff!!!

-
To: North American Fruit Explorers

Over on applecrop (a list for commercial growers) some folks were
saying that B9 tends towards brittle graft unions, and needs more
support than some other stocks.

Ginda