nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaws and butterflies

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaws and butterflies
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:50:47 -0500

Raby, Brian {D204~Indianapolis} wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I don't know any specific location, but I was talking to my son's
> teacher last fall and she said that for some of their science
> projects, like watching a caterpillar turn into a cocoon, then a
> butterfly, that there are some educational website that you can order
> from. Perhaps that would be a place to start.

True...you can order butterflies (typically painted lady butterflies are used for classrooms). Unfortunately, they're being bred out west and released all over the place. Many butterfly geneticists have screamed about the release practise for years. Even folks who rear locals for their experiments typically do not release lab-reared specimens to the wild. There are far more mutations that survive in lab-reared stock...that I can attest to from experience. When I've used the mail-order kits in class, I just let them survive in cages and they eventually die during the semester.