nafex - Re: [NAFEX] June Sugar Pear

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] June Sugar Pear
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:24:26 -0500

I had 2 June Sugar pears in North Georgia (Zone 7). The fruit ripened in late June to early July. I found them inedible fresh, very dry flesh without flavor or juice, but quality is subjective and they might cook alright- I never bothered to try.
It did ripen much earlier than the other 20+ varieties in my orchard.

Anton

Needham Greg wrote:

Does anyone have experience with (Lawson's) June Sugar Pear? I have a nice little tree of this cultivar that will soon be grown up enough to bear fruit, and it occurs to me that I never asked anyone whether it lives up to it's name- by actually ripening much earlier than the other pears I know. Pears around here (middle of North Carolina's coastal plain; border of zone 7/8), at least the ones in my experience, usually ripen late Summer. This pear's friends in the orchard are Magness, Seckel, Turnbull Giant, and a bradford pear across the fence at my neighbor's place. Thanks for any info!