nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Your cliamate

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Your cliamate
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 19:14:46 -0600

Hi Kevin,

Lone Rock made it to -53F in 1952.  And that's at a US weather service station, not in someone's West Lima back yard!

Lone roc lies at the point where the Wisconsin River Valley (a very wide glacial feature for those of you who are not familiar with the geography of the Midwest) narrows about 50 miles before it reaches the Mississippi River.  It collects cold air on dead calm, clear winter nights.

 I lived here several years before I figured out why the landforms in the area work as they do.  So while we have good summer heat on the sand plain here (I.e. cacti and box turtles) we get occasional extreme lows.  I suspect that our lows are not quite as trying on plants as the lengthy subzero periods experienced by Bernie Nickolai in Alberta, or Del Stubbs near Bemidji, MN, but the have an effect of what I can grow.  I do expect to hit -40F most winters, though I'm praying for global warming :-)

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI USDA zone 3

P.S.  I commute to Madison 5 days per week.  I don't know Mark Shepard, but have e-communicated with him because of his Badgersett hazel connection.